Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Recomendations for software that draws lab apparatus

Little_Ghost_again - 11-11-2014 at 12:12

Hi, what do you recommend software wise for a decent program that can draw experiments with a decent amount of lab glassware in it? I have chem basic but it lacks alot of glassware, I am not so great with paint etc so wondered if there was anything around that most use.

aga - 11-11-2014 at 12:19

Graphite is pretty soft.

I find it makes marks on paper really well, and enclosing a thin rod of it in wood prevents it marking your hands too.

It wears down pretty fast, so must therefore be Software.

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by aga]

Loptr - 11-11-2014 at 13:25

I don't know of such software, but if you could find drawing program that allows you to use custom stencils, you could make your own stencils and use them to draw configurations.

I am a software engineer, and as much as I hate to mention it, Microsoft Visio springs to mind with the custom stencil ability. I have used it before to layout parts of Enterprise Architecture models using UML 2.4 elements that are not supported by the default set provided with Visio.

It's a worthy mention, at least.

Brain&Force - 11-11-2014 at 13:29

What do you mean by "drawing experiments?" Making diagrams with steps? OneNote is great for that, if your computer has pen input.

Loptr - 11-11-2014 at 13:30

Is this what you refer to by ChemBasic?
http://www.acdlabs.com/products/draw_nom/draw/chemsketch/che...

HgDinis25 - 11-11-2014 at 14:03

I believe Yenka suits your needs perfectly... Just google it. It has chemistry, electricity, mechanics and more that I don't remember at the moment.

Chemosynthesis - 11-11-2014 at 19:50

Chemsketch also has templates for this by default.

Little_Ghost_again - 12-11-2014 at 01:00

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Graphite is pretty soft.

I find it makes marks on paper really well, and enclosing a thin rod of it in wood prevents it marking your hands too.

It wears down pretty fast, so must therefore be Software.

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by aga]

OMG, trust me to pick cocktail time to ask a question!!! :D

Yes the link is the package I was on about, there seems to be several packages around that have glassware templates that connect etc.
Its actually for some homework for a upcoming school project. I normally would use the Biology software they have but as I am not at school for now I dont have access, drawing with a graphite rod is just SO LAST YEAR Aga.
At least you didnt mention chalk (Ive used all that in an experiment).
The one I have found so far that seems really good is EDRAW MAX

Ozone - 12-11-2014 at 18:43

If you can get a hold of it, ChemBioDraw (Cambridgesoft) now has a bunch of customizable templates which include lab ware, macrocycles, you name it. They are nice because they just pop-together and ignore the ridiculous "snaps" that ChemDraw is notorious for.

O3

[Edited on 13-11-2014 by Ozone]

Little_Ghost_again - 13-11-2014 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by Ozone  
If you can get a hold of it, ChemBioDraw (Cambridgesoft) now has a bunch of customizable templates which include lab ware, macrocycles, you name it. They are nice because they just pop-together and ignore the ridiculous "snaps" that ChemDraw is notorious for.

O3

[Edited on 13-11-2014 by Ozone]

I havnt seen that one yet! I will have a look, the snaps are annoying