Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Making stronger hypochlorite

Little_Ghost_again - 13-10-2014 at 08:20

Sooooo
Google is telling me take a weak sodium hydroxide solution and slowly bubble chlorine into it................

Weak to me might not be weak to them, so how strong (mols) for the hydroxide and what kind of strengh hypochlorite should I be able to get?
I have plenty 10% hypochlorite but feel the need to double that strength :D

Amos - 13-10-2014 at 08:32

I don't know how sound my logic is, here, or whether or not this is an option for you, but a double replacement reaction between a solution of calcium hypochlorite(you can determine concentration on your own, as it's sold in a stable powder form) and sodium carbonate might get you whatever concentration you need. This is an idea that just dawned on me; I've yet to try it. I believe that sodium hypochlorite is horrifically unstable at about 30% or higher; it also decomposes faster at higher concentrations.

hyfalcon - 13-10-2014 at 08:39

LG, you should like this. Especially when the DSA gets there.

Attachment: An electrolytic method of production of bleaching agent.pdf (250kB)
This file has been downloaded 384 times

Little_Ghost_again - 13-10-2014 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  

Time to get me a washing machine motor and solar panel!!!
Some of these patents are really cool, I seem to have a fear of them, I dunno why I dont search them more???? Maybe its just because a couple of them lost me completely in the first few sentences, time to make a big effort with patents.

DariusGibeault - 17-10-2014 at 21:43

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  

Time to get me a washing machine motor and solar panel!!!
Some of these patents are really cool, I seem to have a fear of them, I dunno why I dont search them more???? Maybe its just because a couple of them lost me completely in the first few sentences, time to make a big effort with patents.

It does happen sometimes..Even I have lost some of the patents which I got later..

diddi - 18-10-2014 at 02:34

"Salt" swimming pools work on the idea of using platinum electrodes to convert chloride to hypochlorite. might be worth looking in to?

hyfalcon - 18-10-2014 at 03:02

diddi, DSA electrodes are made with noble metal oxide coatings. These I'm using from lasared, we think, are Ru/Ir oxide coated Ti mesh. They work great in electrolytic cells.

DariusGibeault - 19-10-2014 at 05:05

Quote: Originally posted by DariusGibeault  
Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  

Time to get me a washing machine motor and solar panels!!!
Some of these patents are really cool, I seem to have a fear of them, I dunno why I dont search them more???? Maybe its just because a couple of them lost me completely in the first few sentences, time to make a big effort with patents

It does happen sometimes..Even I have lost some of the patents which I got later..
It has been the problem faced by many..

[Edited on 19-10-2014 by DariusGibeault]