Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Trinitrophenol (Picric Acid) Purification

Hawkguy - 12-10-2014 at 15:08

I am curious as to the purification of Picric Acid. The reason is as I plan to further work with it, and it would be great not to be working with 'shit'. I am asking to the ease of recrystallization, and any other purifying methods.

[BTW] Sorry for not tracking down a previous thread on the subject, I'm fairly lazy when it comes to digging online.

Bert - 12-10-2014 at 20:41

About the last thing you would want to do in this community is first ask for spoon feeding (on energetic materials, no less!) and then try to excuse not doing your own research by saying "I'm lazy".

Best read this part of the FAQ:

Quote:

It is okay to be ignorant when first arriving and posting. However, you must be willing to make an effort to learn. If you are unable to cite references in support of an idea or as background to your question, the post belongs in Beginnings. Questions that provide background information and show effort are more likely to receive good responses.

specialactivitieSK - 26-10-2014 at 06:00

What is the yield of trinitrophenol by Xantoprotein reaction ?
Slightly heated nitric acid solution with egg white = yellow precipitate. After the addition of ammonia, orange precipitate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuGWwbOrf0

[Edited on 26-10-2014 by specialactivitieSK]

Metacelsus - 26-10-2014 at 06:27

Very low. How much of protein has aromatic rings? (Answer: not much).