Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chlorate cell quetions on silicon partitions

Little_Ghost_again - 4-10-2014 at 06:38

Hi
I have searched but couldnt find on here what I was after. I have read Wolens excellent article on chlorate cells, and have seen a post that mentions a silicone partition or something like that.
What kind of silicone and how thick should it be?
Would you build a silicone insert with two chambers separated by a silicone wall? I am trying to find details because I am going to try and mold one from RTV silicone (if it can be used)

Thank you

hyfalcon - 4-10-2014 at 11:55

Must mean silicon dioxide. You have to have permeability in your membrane wall. Think, unglazed porcelain tile and you will be closer to what you need.

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by hyfalcon]

aga - 4-10-2014 at 13:30

A slab of silcone sealant will be too thick and impermeable, so won't work.

jock88 - 4-10-2014 at 13:39

If you put a partitian into a chlorate cell you will not have a chlorate cell??
Are you trying to make Chlorine gas?

hyfalcon - 4-10-2014 at 14:21

Using my MMO I've never had need of a membrane actually.

Little_Ghost_again - 5-10-2014 at 01:02

Ahh that answers the question, it wasnt the stuff I was thinking of. Thanks guys

MMO isnt about on ebay in the UK, seems to be in the states though, for now I will use graphite from batteries and low current. I dont need chlorate as such but want to mess with some electrics and build a cell controller, first though I need a cell :D.
Its ages since I played with micro controllers and a chlorate cell would be a good project

violet sin - 5-10-2014 at 01:19

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=35...
Zyklon-A: "Iridium-ruthenium MMO anode- $2/sq in."

just posted the other day 9-27, maybe send a u2u

hyfalcon - 5-10-2014 at 03:19

I've got 10 sheets of lasered's mmo put back that I would share with you also. I've got some small strips I would be willing to send one of to you.

Little_Ghost_again - 5-10-2014 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
I've got 10 sheets of lasered's mmo put back that I would share with you also. I've got some small strips I would be willing to send one of to you.

That would be really cool thank you very much.
I am wanting to build a chlorate cell monitor/controller, I have read Wolens excellent article on chlorate cells and some posts on here its got me thinking.
I am always on the look out for electronics projects and I thought it would make an excellent micro controller project, first I need to build a cell then work out what I can monitor and control. The idea being have a LCD that gives out information but also allows the person to set parameters, you can also add some output control ports that would say turn on a top up pump etc.
It might be possible to measure the amount of liquid in the cell via capacitive sensing, I dont think its going to need much processing power so I am thinking a PIC18f chip would be ideal for this project.
Add something like a Dallas DS18s20 digital temperature sensor to monitor the cell temp, you can then set max temps etc. Measuring the amount and rate of gas evolution might also be handy. Controlling the current and voltage is pretty straight forward. My aim really is to develop a system that runs a cell at max efficiency and also can give and log as much data as possible. This could then be downloaded onto a pc via RS232 or USB.
RS232 would be easier and serial to USB adapters are so cheap these days for pc's.
Adding a LCD gives the ability to add menu system so parameters could be set depending on the users cell and preferences, also a constant monitoring system means the cell could be switch off automatically if things went wrong.
I know this is more a electronics project but maybe if I can develop a good system then it might help others. If it works out I should be able to offer them pretty cheaply.
So I was thinking first build a cell that works, then I can start measuring different parameters to see what information I can get out of it. For example if a cell starts drawing too much current then it could lower it.
Any thoughts or ideas appreciated! If anyone would like a intelligent monitoring and control system then feel free to add suggestions on what features would be handy.

Thank you again guys for the information