Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Where have I gone?

Little_Ghost_again - 16-9-2014 at 13:02

I tried to log in under Little Ghost and its gone!!!
so have my posts!!! Whats happened? why have I been deleted :(

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 13:11

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27951&...

I've seen this happen before: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=28...

I have no idea if you account can be reinstated, but I don't think it can. I have a weird feeling it's the spam auto-deletion code - you've been making a lot of posts lately, and that may have triggered it. It's not your fault though.

[Edited on 16.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

Texium - 16-9-2014 at 13:32

In fact, all of the threads that he started have been completely erased, including other people's posts in them. I posted quite a bit in Little_Ghost's threads, and all of my posts in them are gone now. My post count has gone down. If it was just caused by posting too much, it would be nice to know what the limit it. There are some days when I have posted many times, and to me, losing all of my nearly 800 posts and all of the threads that I started (especially the wiki one) sounds really bad.

Edit (Unrelated): B&F- just noticed that as of this post we are post count twins :)

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by zts16]

Amos - 16-9-2014 at 14:26

Since your name isn't on the member list at all, have you tried creating a new account with your old name? If it allows you to go ahead and do that, that might mean you're gone forever. Sorry that this happened to you and not one of our more useless members...

Also, it doesn't appear that my post count has gone down at all, zts16. And I had many a reply on his threads.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by No Tears Only Dreams Now]

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 14:30

I replied to his threads before and I have the same post count. I think I just caught up to you, zts16.

And we're no longer post count twins :(

Polverone - 16-9-2014 at 14:35

There is no limit on number of posts, but I am afraid the spam deletion code has claimed its first innocent victim :-(

See https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=16...

Little_Ghost_again - 16-9-2014 at 14:41

I didnt use the same name this time but I did use the same email as I dont have my own email account.
All that information you guys gave me :(.
Really sorry guys if I ask repeat questions :(. I will try and avoid directly the same questions.
And my approach will be different.
Yes I did post a lot but I had a lot to ask!
Main thing is I didnt sin and get banned :D That was my main worry! I will see it as a fresh start and new beginning! Complete with new bound Lab Book and a more professional approach to how I do things in the lab!
thanks for letting me know what happened!

Deleted as spam :( :( OMG dosnt say much about the quality of my posting does it lol

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 15:22

Polverone, thankfully, determined the cause of your ban in the "Tired of reporting spam" thread. It wasn't your fault. You can ask to get your name reset to "Little_Ghost" if you want.

Little_Ghost_again - 17-9-2014 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Polverone, thankfully, determined the cause of your ban in the "Tired of reporting spam" thread. It wasn't your fault. You can ask to get your name reset to "Little_Ghost" if you want.

I dont get how I was deleted, iis it because when I pst a link I just cut and paste the address and dont use the links thingy above?
Maybe I need to man up and try some of the buttons above :D.
No need to reset my name and no need for apologies. Its a shame about the information but then again I am sure plenty more will be generated! I am off School again :(. its an exam things up here, they are sitting exams to determined what sets (groups) they are going into. Dosnt apply to me because I did mine in England last year.
So a Day of science, off out in a bit to get a proper lab book. I have a few things I am not so hot on and I am going to target them first.
For example salting out, I understand the principle but in practice I get different results. So a series of simple experiments will show me where my misunderstanding lies.

ANYWAY
Many thanks for NOT banning me!!! lol.

Little_Ghost_again - 17-9-2014 at 05:14

Wow I see what you mean about spam!!
Ok I have an idea, I obviously did something that made the software unhappy, so if you could PM/U2U me and explain what I need to do to avoid the delete, then you can turn it back on.
For example I dont use the button for posting links I simply cut and paste the address rather than use tags. Is this an issue for the script?
Maybe I need to fill in certain fields in my profile? I dont want to be deleted again but the volume of spam is beyond reasonable and a massive waste of moderator/admin time dealing with it. While I appreciate it isnt a good idea to openly explain on the forum about how it works if you U2U me with details on how I can prevent flagging myself then all is well.
Could someone also give me access to wimsy and the other bit again please.

Brain&Force - 17-9-2014 at 12:54

Polverone said it earlier: some spammer simply set "http" as his web address, and when you typed it up somewhere, it thought it was a spam link and deleted your posts and account. It wasn't your fault.

Little_Ghost_again - 17-9-2014 at 14:09

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Polverone said it earlier: some spammer simply set "http" as his web address, and when you typed it up somewhere, it thought it was a spam link and deleted your posts and account. It wasn't your fault.

Wow thats pretty scary! Awwww now I got to use the little boxs above to post links :( 4 years I have avoided doing that! lol.

IrC - 18-9-2014 at 01:20

Does that mean the chance exists it can erase 2079 posts over nearly 10 years? Along with the name.

WGTR - 18-9-2014 at 05:41

That's what I'm worried about as well. I'm going to start doing backups of my more significant posts/threads.

Little_Ghost_again - 18-9-2014 at 13:30

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
That's what I'm worried about as well. I'm going to start doing backups of my more significant posts/threads.

Snap.. it will also give me the chance to use a floppy disk again! Maybe I could fill the remaining disk space with a few pictures lol :P

Polverone - 18-9-2014 at 13:46

No, long-time accounts cannot be accidentally deleted this way. The spam deletion code only works against accounts that are 30 days old or newer. That's why recently registered member Little_Ghost accidentally became a victim. If some long-time account were taken over by a spammer, manual intervention would be required, and I would just delete individual spam posts and lock the account until control could be restored to the rightful owner.

Brain&Force - 18-9-2014 at 17:40

Is there any way for a mod to quickly confirm an account as a non-spam account and thus make it immune to the auto-deletion code?

Polverone - 18-9-2014 at 18:07

No, but that's a good idea.

Brain&Force - 18-9-2014 at 21:43

Did Little_Ghost get his posts back? I see he has plenty of messages again (37).

Texium - 11-10-2014 at 06:05

What happened to DrMario? I just noticed that he has been unregistered, but he seemed like a legitimate member and had some interesting posts. Was this another similar thing? (He was also a fairly prolific new member)
At least his posts haven't been deleted.