Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Graphite electrode

quest - 7-2-2005 at 07:26

Hi, I'm thinking on making chlorate cell, the last thing I need is the graphite anode.

I can get alot of D size batteries and take their graphite elctrodes in them (55 m"m long, 7 m"m diameter)

Is there any way to "glue" 2-3 toghater to make long electrode?

I need something that will glue them togather and wont corrode form the chlorine ,hypochlorous acid and other things in the chlorate cell

Eclectic - 7-2-2005 at 08:38

Search for "graphite" on Ebay in "Business & Industrial"

quest - 7-2-2005 at 10:04

Im sorry but you didn't understood me.
I don't want to buy new one, I want to make 2 small ones to one big electrode.....

Eclectic - 7-2-2005 at 12:46

I understood, just didn't know if you had searched Ebay. You can get very high quality EDM graphite (very pure, very hard) for a reasonable price for electode use. It's MUCH better than battery carbon rod. Another source is welding supply as arc gouging electrode.

quest - 7-2-2005 at 12:59

I saw the electrodes on E-buy and i don't want to spent so much money on this chlorate cell yet.
Its just a small cell only for trying, maybe after it will work I will make new one with better electrodes.

and as for welding, I searched like 5 welding stores and thay didn't even knew what is graphtie electrodes =\

Eclectic - 7-2-2005 at 13:45

They wouldn't know "graphite". You have to ask for "arc gouging electrode" or "carbon arc electrode"

ArcAir

MadHatter - 7-2-2005 at 17:20

Ask for ArcAir gouging rods. The rods are 12 inches long and come in a range of diameters.
They're also copper-plated. The plating will have to be removed before you begin the
electrolysis. Soak them in linseed oil for a few days also. This delays the inevitable ersoion of
the anode.

quest - 10-2-2005 at 06:28

All this names don't help me very much because I'm from Israel and I dont think thay will use the same names here.....

And I still want to attach 2 electrodes into one longer electrode, I get used D size batteries for free so this is the cheapest electrodes I can get

Eclectic - 10-2-2005 at 07:02

I think they probably frown on people making oxidizers in Israel.

quest - 10-2-2005 at 07:07

lol, thay don't need too
the arabs making TATP, they don't need chlorate cell and oxidizers.......

Eclectic - 10-2-2005 at 07:56

Try to find an old dry cell with bigger carbons or live with a bunch of tiny little anodes in parallel.

Battery anodes

MadHatter - 10-2-2005 at 19:23

Quest, the problem with battery anodes is that they will erode quickly due to their
small size. Good luck anyway ! If you happen to find a welding shop ask for
"gouging rods". They come in boxes of 100.