Sciencemadness Discussion Board

hcl/solvent solution

sprengel pump - 12-9-2014 at 16:08

Will a desiccant remove the water from a solution of muriatic acid and a solvent such as diethyl ether or with water still be present?

Oscilllator - 12-9-2014 at 19:17

No. HCl solutions are about 37% HCl absolute tops. Thats 63% water. Dessicant can only be used to remove 1 or 2% water, so that wont work.

Texium - 12-9-2014 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by sprengel pump  
Will a desiccant remove the water from a solution of muriatic acid and a solvent such as diethyl ether or with water still be present?
Do you mean adding a desiccant to a mixture of HCl, water, and a solvent to leave only HCl dissolved in the dry solvent? If that is what you're doing, then you might be able to soak up a small amount of the water, but you'd need to use a lot of desiccant to do so. Also, HCl is considerably less soluble in ether than it is in water, so you won't be able to make as concentrated of a solution.

bbartlog - 12-9-2014 at 21:38

Generally speaking, if you remove all the water by adding a massive quantity of dessicant, you'll end up with HCl gas. Unless that's what you want, or your other solvent actually has a decent ability to hold HCl in solution itself, you probably don't want to do that. Alcohols/diols do seem to retain HCl pretty well, so for example if you added aqueous HCl to isopropyl alcohol, you could then add a substantial quantity of a drying agent like MgSO4 and be left with dry-ish HCl in IPA (I have done this). I have no idea about diethyl ether, however. It seems like it would depend on the temperature and the ratio of HCl to ether.

DJF90 - 13-9-2014 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
No. HCl solutions are about 37% HCl absolute tops. Thats 63% water. Dessicant can only be used to remove 1 or 2% water, so that wont work.

Thats not true. You can prepare approx 1M HCl in Et2O by using appropriate quantities of 37% HCl (aq) and Et2O, using MgSO4 to mop up the aqueous phase. Quite a lot is needed, but it works sufficiently well that theres a paper detailing it (something like JChemEd).

sprengel pump - 15-9-2014 at 17:10

I figured the MgSO4 wasn't drying it out all the way.