Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Name of this overly simple glass piece?

Fantasma4500 - 28-8-2014 at 07:33

had to do some water-destillation at school, and as i saw that soxhlet really wasnt helping out that well with dragging limonene out of orange peels i went around in our school lab looking for something more effective

suddenly i was holding a 29/32 ground glass piece attached to a 2-3mm ID glass tube, bent upwards then downwards, being the most simple destillation glass piece i have ever seen
there was 2 of them, and they seemed perfectly identical, they didnt seem like they were made at the school

i havent yet had a chance to look for the glass piece again so i dont have a picture of the glass piece

help with figuring name of this glass piece out will be greatly appreciated.. i have NEVER before seen such glass equipment..??

PHILOU Zrealone - 28-8-2014 at 11:01

Glass retort or alembic ;-)

aga - 28-8-2014 at 11:09

Aha ! It is a Fluidic Movement Vector Modification Conduit.

(it sends fluid around corners).

Fantasma4500 - 29-8-2014 at 02:19

alembic seems to be this sort of bulb ontop of a flask, i have actually just recently come across an such glass piece

retort is the classical alchemist glass piece, which is only one piece consiting of a RBF with 2 holes in it, one long glass piece for destillate to come out of, and one to fill whatever in it that must be distilled

however, i have looked it all up.. i dont get any hits :/ described the glass piece to my teacher and he exclamated it sounds like some 1920's glass piece.. if it has been made on a factory or alike.. would it be possible i had held some glass that has only been made like.. less than 100 of in history???
ill try to find them asap and get a real pic of them..

Fantasma4500 - 1-9-2014 at 05:20

cant help but double post

finally got a picture of this supposedly very rare glass equipment, looks quite professional, dont think any of my schools teachers could have made it that professionally at all

DJF90 - 1-9-2014 at 11:28

Recovery bend? Gas delivery tube?

Fantasma4500 - 1-9-2014 at 13:06

hmh.. yes it is plausible that it was designed as also to function as bubbling a gas through something, that may give reason for why the tube is so small and why it goes so far down, but it works very well for simple destillation aswell.. recovery bend however gives alot of destillation bridges

just cant fit into my head that an such simple glass equipment havent been mass produced?? its cheap to make, simple and has several uses????

Texium - 1-9-2014 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
just cant fit into my head that an such simple glass equipment havent been mass produced?? its cheap to make, simple and has several uses????
Yeah, really, I know I'd love to have one of those. Whatever its original intended use was, it looks like a piece that could be used for plenty of different purposes. I like aga's name for it. I think we should use it: the Fluidic Movement Vector Modification Conduit, or FMVMC for short. Leaves it open to interpretation. :)

Fantasma4500 - 2-9-2014 at 06:36

my teacher said that he has never seen anything alike either, and states it MAY have been a very experienced chemist at a nearby university that happened to have made it

but really, contacting a chemical glass supplier.. would they care to make 100 of those or would they only do something if they have like... many THOUSANDS of one single order? perfectly sure i could buy 100 home and still get a profit out of it or at least cover shipping costs etc

aga - 2-9-2014 at 12:12

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
FMVMC for short

So it's an aga pipe !

Later, when i'm drunker, i'll slurr more and say :

Snarga Pipe

which i like better.

IrC - 3-9-2014 at 05:48

Looks like something designed to provide clearance in a complex setup so other components can be used in close proximity. As in the typical mad scientist image of a chemistry experiment.

img.jpg - 95kB

Fantasma4500 - 3-9-2014 at 09:02

took a closer look on it today, seems that just near 29/32 theres a small ring indicating that it has been ''home-made'' but yet ofcourse by a skilled person.. mhm.. :/

dont know if i hoped to find it for sale somewhere, but if i get the chance ill try to buy a shittonne of those pieces, perhaps with 24/29 etc etc

i guess the name will be snarga pipe for now