Sciencemadness Discussion Board

amyl acetate

jamit - 1-4-2014 at 07:43

I've been given a gallon of amyl acetate recently by a friend, and it smells great - banana odor!

What can I use this solvent for? Can I convert it back to amyl alcohol?

I know there's lots of info on making esters but beyond just making it... or in my case, having it given to me, what other uses are there in home chemistry? any suggestions?

blogfast25 - 1-4-2014 at 08:11

Are you sure it is amyl acetate and not isoamyl acetate you have? The latter is known as 'banana oil'. Amyl alcohol is milder in scent, from what I've read.

Tsjerk - 2-4-2014 at 02:40

You could react it with a NaOH solution, it will react to sodium acetate and the alcohol. Distillation will give a 50% azeotrope with water.

Edit: isoamyl alcohol will give the azeotrope, I don't know about the amyl alcohol. Isoamyl alcohol is only soluble in water with 28 g/l so after distillation it should separate, the alcohol could then be dried using magnesium sulfate or another salt.

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Tsjerk]

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Tsjerk]

Tsjerk - 2-4-2014 at 05:19

Now I think of it, it should even separate before distillation, so you can separate the alcohol from the reaction mixture, and depending on how clean you want it clean it up one way or another.

Bert - 2-4-2014 at 20:25

It's useful for dissolving nitrocellulose- gives a longer open working time than acetone.

Zephyr - 3-4-2014 at 13:43

If you like fruity scents, you could convert the amyl acetate to amyl nitrite, which is an amber liquid that has the strong smell of pears. Amyl nitrite is used in cases of fainting or drowning as a resuscitator.
The amyl nitrite decomposes when in contact with a strong base and yields isoamyl alcohol.

Tsjerk - 4-4-2014 at 02:30

Isn't isoamyl nitrite a controlled substance in the US?