Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Making specific non-metal powders.

Zyklon-A - 20-3-2014 at 10:51

Many times I, and likely many others, find it difficult to make powder that is useful from a less useful material.
Two examples are cellulose powder from any cotton source, and PTFE from Teflon tape. Both of which I need.
How would one go about turning cotton 'balls' into cotton powder? I'm not sure it even possible, but if so, could anyone share their idea's.

HgDinis25 - 20-3-2014 at 11:26

You can take a look into Schweizer's reagent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer%27s_reagent
It's generally used to produce rayon (which is far from cellulose powder), but perhaps there's a way to p+recipitate cellulose in the form of a powder.

Some other solvents that may dissolve cellulose are cupriethylenediamine, cadoxen and dimethylformamide.
This is actually an interesting topic, hoping to see the more experienced chemists here, because I don't know much on this topic.

IrC - 20-3-2014 at 13:01

I thought dipping cotton balls in liquid N2 then dropping in a bean grinder might be possible. Strands wrapping around the shaft is an issue. Maybe cotton cloth would be less of a problem. Assuming you can easily get the N2.

Zyklon-A - 20-3-2014 at 13:41

Hmm, good idea, or even putting cotton balls in water, taking them out, freezing them, and then put them in the blender on ice crush for a few seconds. I'll give it a try.

Endo - 20-3-2014 at 14:37

You could try HCl.

http://www.sadgurupublications.com/ContentPaper/2009/10_7%28...

Texium - 20-3-2014 at 19:01

Haha, top of page 683 "kept it in a heating mental"
Looks like a pretty simple method though. Good ol' HCl!

Zyklon-A - 20-3-2014 at 19:20

Yes, thanks Endo.
Only rarely do I ask a question, and I get an easy, and cheap answer.

Zyklon-A - 28-3-2014 at 16:30

So, I finally got around to trying the procedure mentioned above to make cellulose powder.
It worked great! Took longer than they said it would though. Also, I found that it happened much faster if it's boiled, perhaps the boiling stirred it, as I lack a magnetic stir bar....
Boiling hydrochloric acid is not something I enjoy doing, but it's quite dilute (~2 molar) and I can move my hot plate easily away from the house.
I definitely suggest doing this, as it's super easy, and very effective.
Cellulose powder is so much better and easier to use. Thanks again Endo.:D

[Edited on 29-3-2014 by Zyklonb]