Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Grignard

Lolita - 6-3-2014 at 02:15

Hi,
Im doing grignard reaction.. My compound is not getting dissolved in Diethyl ether. and as we dont have THF i have no choice.. My compound is an ester(solid).. im very sure that the reagent is formed. but after adding my compound the reaction is not going. I couldnt figure out the reason.
I did the same reaction with benzyl bromide, it was positive. But with 1 bromo hexane is never goes for me. Could you guys plz help me with this???

[Edited on 6-3-2014 by Lolita]

Metacelsus - 6-3-2014 at 10:53

Could you be more specific (reaction conditions, substrate, etc.)?

Are you trying to react hexylmagnesium bromide with an ester?

Is the problem that the substrate is insoluble in ether?

Lolita - 10-3-2014 at 03:08

Yes. I tried with 1-Bromo hexane, and the ester which im trying with is not getting dissolved in ether. and actually Mr. cheese when i tried grignard with the same ester using Bromo benzene, I got product.
I couldnt identify the problem, Im just guessing that the dissolution of My ester in ether might be the problem as I could see the generation of the grignard reagent (complete dissolution of Mg turning, and dirty colour liquid).
Im doing the reaction under Nitrogen atmosphere. Im using a condenser, a connecter (where one opening to the nitrogen cylinder, one to the condenser and one to a balloon filled with nitrogen).
Thank you so much :)