Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Local Source for Borosilicate Glass?

dorkwad - 28-2-2014 at 04:24

Hey there, I'm a beginner glassblower and I'm looking for any local source of borosilicate glass, my issue is that U.S. pyrex isn't really boro like it's supposed to be, it's soda-lime and it pops and cracks on any contact with my torch.

I could literally use any source, such as a bakeware that's actually borosilicate and not something else, can be in any shape even if it's a dildo although this will not be fun to buy, and yes I've already tried synthesizing it myself but boric acid is very dangerous and I'm waiting on a respirator order to get here.

Dr.Bob - 28-2-2014 at 07:50

I have some broken Pyrex labware which is real borosilicate glass if you just want stuff to practice on. I gave one guy a whole box of broken glassware to melt down years ago, but I have a little bit more now. Plus I have a few items that might be repairable. Do you have access to a proper glass blowing torch and annealing oven, or are you trying to do this at home?

MrHomeScientist - 28-2-2014 at 08:52

What's so dangerous about boric acid? I use that all the time and it's fairly benign - only a 1 health and reactivity hazard. Just wear gloves, and maybe one of those white dust filter masks if you're concerned.

organicchemist25 - 28-2-2014 at 13:08

Boric acid? Dangerous? I guess almost all chemicals are dangerous to some degree, I just would not go eating the stuff and wear gloves and wash hands when done working with it.

I have always thought of it as fairly safe.

I have some broken glassware as well. Some pieces are thick.

dorkwad - 28-2-2014 at 13:13

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I have some broken Pyrex labware which is real borosilicate glass if you just want stuff to practice on. I gave one guy a whole box of broken glassware to melt down years ago, but I have a little bit more now. Plus I have a few items that might be repairable. Do you have access to a proper glass blowing torch and annealing oven, or are you trying to do this at home?

I am doing it at home, but i've got a DIY kiln and a 6B national torch, along with the tanks, I have everything practically,

Dr.Bob - 28-2-2014 at 13:26

That's pretty impressive. If you want broken pieces of Pyrex, I think you can get some from someone here, mostly depends where you are located, as the shipping might get expensive, unless you just want pulverized shards, which fit easier into a flat rate box.

dorkwad - 28-2-2014 at 13:34

Thanks, I mean since it's used for glassblowing I can manipulate it from any shape into any other shape, I'm in Northern Virginia btw

organicchemist25 - 28-2-2014 at 13:55

I am in Va too. I am in DC usually, at least two weekends a month.

dorkwad - 28-2-2014 at 19:02

Oh nice, what kind of pricing would you put on that boro, organicchemist25?

I found out I probably won't be making my own glass because the recipe says 800 degrees Celsius for 12 hours lol... I can't sit next to a kiln all day and risk setting my house on fire, it's also more expensive and way harder than just buying the boro already chemically formed.