Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The use of microballoons/glass bubbles

Gargamel - 1-2-2014 at 12:01

Hi guys,

does anybody here have some kind of information regarding the use of microballoons?

I'm especially interested in binaries based on AN, Chlorates, gelled Nitromethane ect.

Unfortunately some compositions need a certain size to reach their full potential, a size that's often quite large for hobbyists.
Shorter runup times and lower critical diameters are often desired.

The question is, what size and type of balloons are usually used in that application?
My feeling is that the smallest possible size would be the best...?
3M has a lot of information on the homepage, of course the leave out any specific data for energetics ;)

Ral123 - 1-2-2014 at 15:48

They don't need big "size", they need big boosters. You can detonate 10g anfo the same way you set off 100kg. With 400g petnolite and confinement.
As for the micro bubbles, the hobbyists use Al, or why not ETN, if the whole thing will be used in powder form. From NM specifically, there are more reliable sensitizers then bubbles.

Gargamel - 5-2-2014 at 02:16

Yes I know. But I'm especially interested in Chlorates and PLX. And especially PLX is not very sensitive with the usually proposed sensitisers alone, also most examples mention rather large charges.

I'm going to do some comparisons when I have the time, I have a bottle of microballoons for epoxy somwhere.