Sciencemadness Discussion Board

After GN what ?

underground - 6-1-2014 at 22:51

Ok yesterday i have successfully made some Guanidine nitrate out of AN/U and SIlica Gel. The product it looks really in appearance like ETN. My point is to make an explosive with good VoD as a secondary out of this salt. I would going to nitroguanidine but i have heard that it is really difficult to detonate, so what options i have next ?

Ral123 - 7-1-2014 at 09:32

Guanidine nitrate is similar to UN IIRC. It may be turned to nitro guanidine with H2SO4 IIRC and become wonderful, safe material, with flashless detonation.

underground - 7-1-2014 at 10:07

It is said that it is hard to detonate, what about its products, like aminoguanidine nitrate or nitroguanidine nitrate or something like that...

Ral123 - 7-1-2014 at 10:29

Nitroguanidine nitrate-the legend says it's more powerful then HMX and it's the poor man's elite explosives equivalent. Density about 2, velocity about 9300 and a guy has ripped a whole in a concrete wall with some of it :D If it wasn't acidic and with doubtful storage stability, I'd be making some for blast cap base charges and mini boosters.

underground - 7-1-2014 at 10:49

What else can be made out of NG ? Is it possible the ammonium nitroguanidine or i do not know what else you can do with this salt... diaminoguanidine. triaminoguanidine, nitrosoguanidine, diaminoguanidine nitrate....

[Edited on 7-1-2014 by underground]

Dornier 335A - 7-1-2014 at 12:06

There is dinitroguanidine - slightly unstable and slowly hydrolyses to nitroguanidine in water. It forms salts with bases. The calculated detonation velocity of the ammonium salt is 9066 m/s.
There is also aminonitroguanidine nitrate. The detonation velocity is 9750 m/s, detonation pressure 419 kbar. It's rather insensitive, more so than RDX, but its thermal stability is not that great.

underground - 7-1-2014 at 13:51

Dinitroguanidine i think it needs N2O5.
Something else, you said:
"There is dinitroguanidine - slightly unstable and slowly hydrolyses to nitroguanidine in water. It forms salts with bases. The calculated detonation velocity of the ammonium salt is 9066 m/s."

The same think it happens to the ammonium salt of dinitroguanidine or it is more stable and does not hydrolyses ?

aminonitroguanidine nitrate needs hydrazine and i am not going to play with that.

I also can not find any information on aminoguanidine nitrate... it bay be interesting with good performance and not such a painful to make.

[Edited on 7-1-2014 by underground]