Sciencemadness Discussion Board

ETN/Binder safe enough rocket fuel?

Turner - 22-12-2013 at 17:26

Hi,

I have found that ETN alone is very hard to initiate (burn) by flame. However, ETN and PIB in approx. 90/10 I have test burned little pellets, and these will easily burn with a lighter flame. I did this with a 5g piece. The burn looks fairly energetic. I'd be interested in making some rocket motors using ETN and binder (ETN is OB positive so it can partially burn the binder) but I know how sensitive it is and I am not sure about how it would do burning in a highly pressurized rocket casing, if it would DDT.

If ETN is not significantly more powerful than fuels like KNO3/sugar or Blackpowder, or even competing with APCP I will abandon that idea for now.

Bot0nist - 22-12-2013 at 18:46

It may not be a significantly more powerful propellent, but is is an extremly sensitive secondary explosive. Nearly a primary. Why to hell would you explore it as a rocket fuel. A horrible, suicidal idea in my opinion. Hot ETN is very very prone to detonation from many stimuli, including thermal shock. See you at the Darwin awards..

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16612#...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=22554

[Edited on 23-12-2013 by Bot0nist]

roXefeller - 28-12-2013 at 18:55

Maybe he wanted to build a Challenger rocket and wanted the full effect.

Not to negate the opine that ETN isn't much more powerful, perhaps a certain binder mix can bring down the sensitivity so it doesn't react to stimuli while burning. Have you thought to try impact tests on the burning specimens? Perhaps not for rocket application, but just the general understanding.

[Edited on 29-12-2013 by roXefeller]

Fantasma4500 - 29-12-2013 at 17:58

i do see potential in this, however put a limit to the amount of ETN you decide to fill in, as others say this can and will potentially detonate, i expect this to happen with a greater chance at greater diameter, or if a heat conductive container is used.. who knows?
keep it low diameter and general low size if you experiment with this, electrical ignition and a cover

there is no such thing as ''keep away from that''
only control and amounts..

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 29-12-2013 at 18:02

Well if you want to use it as a oxidizer..... why not just use Ammonium perchlorate? ETN's density, OB, safety, and overall propellant formulation performance is inferior to Ammonium perchlorate