Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The reaction question thread.

bismuthate - 7-12-2013 at 03:54

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can ask how does ******** react with ********. So I'll start off.
NaNH2+PH3==>NaPH2+NH3?
2Na+2PH3==>2NaPH2+H2?
3NaNO3+AsCl3==>As(NO3)3+3NaCl?

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by bismuthate]

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by bismuthate]

Random - 7-12-2013 at 05:41

Many reactions are possible but another question is under what conditions.

For example hydrogen and ammonia looks simple on paper until you see actual pressure and heat required.

bismuthate - 7-12-2013 at 06:17

Yeah it would be nice if people added in under what conditions they react, but this is just a question of how a reaction proceeds.

Zyklon-A - 5-3-2014 at 20:11

I was wondering if barium nitrate could react with potassium perchlorate to make barium perchlorate and potassium nitrate.
Solubility of perchlorate is 66.48 g/100 mL (25 °C), While potassium perchlorate is only 1.5 g/100 mL (25 °C).
I think it wont work actually, just looking at the solubility data.
Can anyone provide a professional opinion on the subject?

mnick12 - 5-3-2014 at 21:39

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
I was wondering if barium nitrate could react with potassium perchlorate to make barium perchlorate and potassium nitrate.
Solubility of perchlorate is 66.48 g/100 mL (25 °C), While potassium perchlorate is only 1.5 g/100 mL (25 °C).
I think it wont work actually, just looking at the solubility data.
Can anyone provide a professional opinion on the subject?

Indeed the poor solubility of potassium perchlorate indicates that the equilibrium highly favors KClO4 over Ba(ClO4)2. Potassium perchlorate is kind of a dead end for making other perchlorates. Sodium perchlorate or would be a better option, however if the intended use is pyrotechnic applications removing all the sodium ions could be very difficult. I would start with ammonium perchlorate, although it is more expensive.

Zyklon-A - 6-3-2014 at 05:55

Ammonium perchlorate is generally made from perchloric acid.

Quote:

.......however if the intended use is pyrotechnic applications......

No, I'll be using it to make perchloric acid, according to this reaction: Ba(ClO4)2 (aq) + H2SO4--> BaSO4 (s) + HClO4 (aq).
I guess I can find another method to make barium chlorate.

DraconicAcid - 6-3-2014 at 09:24

Quote:
I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can ask how does ******** react with ********. So I'll start off.
NaNH2+PH3==>NaPH2+NH3?

It should. Phosphine will be a stronger acid than ammonia. Nasty stuff to work with, though.

Quote:
2Na+2PH3==>2NaPH2+H2?

It should. I know that triphenylphosphine will react with sodium to give NaPPh2 and NaPh (which was protonated under the reaction conditions, but I don't recall what they were).

Quote:
3NaNO3+AsCl3==>As(NO3)3+3NaCl?

I doubt it. The arsenic-chlorine bond has significant covalent character, and I wouldn't expect the nitrate to bond as strongly.

[Edited on 6-3-2014 by DraconicAcid]

[Edited on 6-3-2014 by DraconicAcid]