Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A potassium salt with VoD near 9800

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 30-11-2013 at 00:51

I know some of you might already saw this paper, but it is still shocking to me that this potassium salt of f 5-Aminotetrazole-1N-oxide have an VoD of 9750 and a detonation pressure almost same as HMX ! Highest I've ever seen.

It has good oxygen balance(-17), high nitrogen content(70%) and a good density of 2.2cm^2.

This salt is also very insensitive, having a sensitivity same as TKX50.

The problem with this compound is that it start with cyanogen bromide... something extremely toxic..

I wonder if other salts such as magnesium, could beat potassium salt ? magnesium salt usually have even higher density and has a 2+ cation which means even more nitrogen. They also tried Hydroxylammonium and it had a low density with VoD 9300.

Attachment: Synthesis of 5-Aminotetrazole-1N-oxide and Its Azo Derivative.pdf (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 770 times

Dany - 30-11-2013 at 01:34

DAR,

the cation should contribute to the overall energy of detonation when the compound detonate. The increase in density should be done with energetic cation. It is not necessarily when you introduce an inert, dense metal that you will increase the detonation performance. Lead azide and mercury fulminate possess very high density > 4 g/cm3 but their detonation performance is moderate (4-5 km/s).

between the compounds described in the paper i found compound 4 interesting from detonation performance point of view (but with horrible impact sensitivity of < 1 J!) (Dcj=9548 m/s, Pcj= 424 kbar). also 4 has the highest specific impulse of all the compound in the paper (Isp= 271 s). Although the detonation speed of the dipotassium salt is fantastic, the detonation pressure is somewhat disappointing (Pcj= 410 kbar). it would be better if all the calculation were performed on a single computer code to permit a real comparison between the different compounds (the calculated detonation performance of the dipotassium salt is performed with CHEETAH 6 thermochemical code while all the other are treated with EXPLO 5 code)

Dany.

[Edited on 30-11-2013 by Dany]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 30-11-2013 at 03:10

First ill correct a mistake of mine I made in my post where I said 70% nitrogen, that is only the anion without the potassium I'm sorry.

Yes, I suggested magnesium because it could probably have same density, but with a higher nitrogen content over all.

Potassium is a heavy metal for the amount of weight % it gives. The potassium salt of 5-Aminotetrazole-1N-oxide will have 28.51% Potassium, and 51.07% Nitrogen. If we choose magnesium or beryllium, C2N10O2Mg could have 63.55% Nitrogen, 12% higher than the potassium.

Any ways, yes compound 4 is interesting for me too, however it has a depressing sensitivity. I think by changing O- to OH removes the stability the oxide give.

Recent advances in [N5]+ cation

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 2-12-2013 at 05:55

It described the synthesis of many [N5]+ salts.

some notable ones N5+ P(N3)6- , PN23 and N5+ B(N3)4- ,BN17 BN17 contains 95.6% Nitrogen

and also have few paragraph on pentazole anion. The salt N5+ N5- was predicted not able to be synthesised even in solvents.

This paper is worth reading

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Attachment: phpm0xNTl (425kB)
This file has been downloaded 696 times

Batiste Anto - 5-12-2013 at 23:28

I know some of you might already saw this paper, but it is still shocking to me that this potassium salt of f 5-Aminotetrazole-1N-oxide have an VoD of 9750 and a detonation pressure almost same as HMX ! Highest I've ever seen.