Sciencemadness Discussion Board

why did my 2,4-dinitrophenol turn off white?

yellowbutthole - 18-9-2013 at 12:16

I ordered a sample of 2,4-dinitrophenol sodium salt. I think DNP is supposed to be yellow as the salt and as not a salt right?

I dissolved the yellow dnp sodium into water and dripped it into concentrated hcl. The yellow solution disappeared into a white cloud that quickly faded. After it was all added the salt started to crystallize out as an off white crystal with a slight yellow tint.

Why did it get white? Can this really be 2,4-dnp or something else?

[Edited on 18-9-2013 by yellowbutthole]

DraconicAcid - 18-9-2013 at 12:38

A lot of phenols are colourless crystals or white powder when perfectly pure, but more usually slightly coloured due to impurities resulting from oxidation by air. That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the dinitrophenol was not white; dinitroaniline (very similar structure) is strongly orange.

Lessee...Merck Index says it's yellowish to yellow crystals. Acts as an indicator- yellow in neutral or basic solution, colourless at pH = 2.6.

yellowbutthole - 18-9-2013 at 12:56

ok thats a relief thanks a lot. im going to upload pictures.

yellowbutthole - 18-9-2013 at 13:21

Here are the pics

1 the original sample
2 the crystals after removal of the sodium with hcl
3 the cloudy mixture of crystals in water (with residual sodium salt because i forgot to wash it)
4 the solution has no more crystals except for sodium hydroxide crystals
5 after evaporating the water there is yellow solid

1.jpg - 44kB

[Edited on 18-9-2013 by yellowbutthole]

2.jpg - 27kB3.jpg - 28kB4.jpg - 31kB5.jpg - 41kB

Boffis - 18-9-2013 at 14:42

If you recrystallize 2,4 dinitrophenol from 28% HCl it crystallises and colourless platy crystals. If you use boiling water or alcohol water mixtures it crystallises as yellow crystals but not as intensely coloured as the sodium salt.