Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Storage containers for often used liquids

Random - 11-7-2013 at 15:58

What do you use for them? For example I made a NaHCO3 solution which I often use but often in very small amounts just for experiment like in test tube. So I took a jam jar and put it there, so I pull out like 5mL with a syringe and then put it into test tube.

Now using syringes for small test tube amounts is rather practical but I wonder if it would be a good idea to store things like 19% HCl in jam jar with plastic cap.

How do you manage all that?

chemcam - 11-7-2013 at 16:19

Lots of people store things in jam jars I don't see a problem as long as it is properly labeled.

However, if your home lab was to get 'inspected', using jam jars would not help you defend home chemistry. I go out of my way to buy proper amber glass bottles for just about everything. If I was to be inspected they would find nothing wrong as my storage is up to code.

bfesser - 11-7-2013 at 20:38

<strong>chemcam</strong>, I don't doubt that your storage is up to code, but I doubt that the zoning of your residence permits significant chemical storage. ;)

chemcam - 11-7-2013 at 20:56

Well...that could be true.. I do my best to keep everything professional though. If 'they' wanted to find something wrong I'm sure 'they' would still find it no matter what I do.