Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitric acid from urea nitrate?

froot - 25-8-2004 at 11:20

Considering the ease of how one can produce urea nitrate from dilute nitric acid, and the formula; CO(NH2)2.HNO3

Would it be possible to chemically or electrolyitically seperate the HNO3 from the urea producing concentrated nitric acid?

vulture - 25-8-2004 at 13:17

Assume you can seperate the nitric acid from the urea in a reaction vessel. You now have conc nitric acid and urea together in one vessel. What's going to happen?

chemoleo - 25-8-2004 at 14:51

You will electrolyse water, getting H2 and O2 :)
Urea nitrate will just aid the conductivity. Of course there is a chance (under some conditions) that the urea reacts somehow, in ways I wouldnt dare to speculate (i.e. the Kolbe reaction isn't exactly predictable if you don't know about it, and yet carboxylic acids are definitely affected by electrolysis).

unionised - 27-8-2004 at 13:06

Vulture,
quite possibly what will happen is the same as what happens when molten NaCl is electrolysed commercially. The 2 products are kept physically separated, tapped off and sold.
I don't see it working well but you should be able to get some separation.
Another game to play might be the use of an ion exchange resin to swap protons for protonated urea; unfortunately I don't think this will work any better.
When it comes down to it, distillation looks like a much better bet.