Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I've done some research, but can't find...

Varmint - 5-6-2013 at 09:02

any detailed information regarding the behavior of aezotropes at lower than atmospheric pressure.

I was hoping to use a vaccum pump to distill electrolyte-grade H2SO4, but it looks like all it really does is reduce the boiling both of the acid as a whole. This is certainly an advantage of course, if nothing else you stay well away from temps that serve to degrade the acid.

I guess what I was hoping for is the water component would become "more available" at lowered pressure, meaning it would open up a few more degrees of temp separation "under the curve" where water would come out more readily before the acid started to come over.

It's really cramping my style having as much electrolyte grade available as I can afford, yet most of the discussions here seem to celebrate the "wide availablity" of the concentrated drain cleaner form. So I'm sort of stuck wasting a sizeable amount of energy boiling off water, then other folks just have to remove a screw cap and pour.

Thanks for any insight.

DAS

Metacelsus - 5-6-2013 at 18:35

Azeotropes do vary by pressure. In fact, this is used in certain distillations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotropic_distillation#Pressur...

Varmint - 5-6-2013 at 18:57

Excellant!

It seemed "right" that this should occur, so now its up to me to keep excellent records in my attempts, in the hope that it helps someone else.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate your effort.

DAS