Sciencemadness Discussion Board

duct tape adhensive NITRATE?

Fantasma4500 - 31-5-2013 at 13:17

''Adhesive compound

The adhesive used in duct tape is unique for two reasons. First, the adhesive itself is formulated with rubber compounds that ensure long-term bonding. Other tapes typically use adhesive polymers that are not as binding. Second, the adhesive is applied to the substrate in a much thicker coating than those used on cellophane or masking tapes. This too serves to increase the adhesive properties of the tape.''

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Duct-Tape.html#ixzz2UuIpiXM6

so i was attempting to distill hno3 once again again
99%
i left a piece of duct tape sitting in contact with the NO2/HNO3 99% vapours
the stuff made some yellow solid-gel ish thingy which is pretty well colouring

it dripped down into the flash with the 99% HNO3 as it wasnt very succesful (too high tubing)
it was PTFE, so it wasnt part of this weird colouring compound
i believe it can be the adhensive
whats more interesting is that when i dumped some cellulose into the remaining acid mix and neutralized i used ammonia, at this point i saw bloodred nearly flouroscent red forming on the cellulose! (or well NC at this point)

probably this has more than just colour properties.. i mean its a organic compound (most likely) it reacted with the HNO3 and it changes colour when ammonia is added (or pH turned basic)

anybody got a clue on what this could be?

Bot0nist - 31-5-2013 at 13:50

Did you MSDS ducttape?

Fantasma4500 - 1-6-2013 at 07:28

i didnt MSDS ducttape, but i searched around for the adhensive and its ofcourse a factory secret whats used for it