Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Dinitrotoluene Toxicity?

APO - 24-3-2013 at 16:59

I have access to 100 grams of 99.999% 2,4-Dinitrotoluene and I'm wondering, since it's toxic, is it non-lethal if I touch it? Some compounds are only toxic by inhalation or ingestion. Just trying to be safe. Any safety tips for this compound would be very helpful.

Bot0nist - 24-3-2013 at 17:33

Dont be lazy my friend. Just look it up. Must we do simple google or msds or even the wiki page is chock full. Just check the links in the cites. You can never learn to learn, unless you learn to research. You obviosly have an internet connection, so there is no excuse Ican think of.

caterpillar - 24-3-2013 at 17:53

I've heard, one man feared death. He feared so strong, that finally made suicide- life with this burden became unbearable for him. There must be something extraordinary toxic to kill you after one touch. VX or similar shit. Do not eat dinitrotoluene and sleep well.

Bot0nist - 24-3-2013 at 18:07

Maybe diethyl/methyl sulfates, or organo murcury compounds. How about some thiolethane, or a few table spoons of conc. HF(aq.). Always become familiar with your reagents, before getting then on you flesh!
!

Motherload - 24-3-2013 at 18:20

Why do you want to touch it anyways ?
It's not a dog that you need to pet it ...
Safety protocols suggest the use of gloves when using chemicals.

APO - 24-3-2013 at 18:46

Just checking with you guys.

Ral123 - 24-3-2013 at 23:11

It's toxic, dont store it. Instead mix it with AN, achieve maximum density and report the damage :D And don't forget to upload a video. Video or it didn't happen.

caterpillar - 24-3-2013 at 23:24

I made some dinitrotoluene. Many years ago. I wanted to mix it with AN, but it suddenly disappeared. Perhaps, my parents threw it away.

Ral123 - 25-3-2013 at 00:37

Many years ago, our house trash tried to assassinate the women who tried to take it away. I still don't know what it could've been. One variant is part of a chlorate containing roman candle, heated by the sun. Other is, that they've threw away acetone and peroxide from my "stuff".

caterpillar - 25-3-2013 at 02:18

Oh, you've just reminded me about things, which I leaved in my past life. There was two or three blusting caps, each of them with 2 gr of TATP. It would be interesting to test them after 30 years. But I do not think, that they stay just where I left them.