Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A different approach about your lab might be better

Pyro - 14-2-2013 at 12:53

Hello,

Many people here seem to hide the fact that they do chemistry, But if somebody finds out its all the more suspicious. I believe that if you are open about it, show it to people (mainly friends), explain the type if things you do, safety precautions,... You will have a lot more people on your side if you ever get in to trouble.
By being open about it you will appear to have nothing to hide and therefore be doing nothing illegal.

I (and my dad mainly) have applied this technique, and he even tells cops he knows! and they have no problems with it!

opinions?

Mailinmypocket - 14-2-2013 at 13:12

I've been doing this hobby for a little over a good solid 15 years, friends and family know and I've never had a problem. I'm more careful when it comes to strangers and visitors though, when I move to a new home I always make sure to have things boxed and out of site. I'm more afraid of the snoopy chemophobic and potentially vindictive "protect the children" type neighbors, who watch you move in through their curtains. Seeing reagent bottles, glassware and other such horrifying things just puts unnecessary thoughts into their minds. If for some reason you don't see eye to eye with these people then problems could arise...

I don't hide what I do, I'm just somewhat selective with who sees, participates in and knows of my hobby.