Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I accidentally discovered a new method of producing NO2

Adas - 27-1-2013 at 04:22

Hello guys, it's me again.

I accidentally made some NO2. I did not expect this reaction to yield NO2.
Here is what I did:

1. I prepared some acetamide in a test tube by boiling ammonium acetate.

2. I added HCl and H2O2 and waited for it to dissolve.

3. Bubbles have been evolving (O2) so I put a balloon on the test tube.

4. After a while I put the balloon off and added some glucose (I have had spectacular reactions of glucose and H2O2 solutions before, that's why). It bubbled immediately and virgiously and it gassed myself a bit. The gas was NO2.

Does anybody have any idea what happened? I have read that acetamide may act as hydrogen peroxide activator, but this was in a highly acidic environment!

This experiment has no practical value of producing NO2, since yields are likely low and H2O2 is not cheap, but I think it is of some experimental value.

Thanks for your time and replies.

blogfast25 - 27-1-2013 at 07:00

You were oxidising ammonium ions to nitrogen dioxide:

NH4+ + 2 H2O === > NO2 + 8 H+ + 7 e-
H2O2 + 2 H+ + 2 e- === > 2 H2O

----------------------------------------------------
2 NH4+ + 7 H2O2 === > 2 NO2 + 2 H+ + 10 H2O

I wouldn't really call it a discovery yet (you'd have to scan the literature first). Not sure what role the glucose plays but it may be catalytic.

[Edited on 27-1-2013 by blogfast25]

Adas - 27-1-2013 at 08:02

I am starting to recall that I made a big mistake when I was doing this experiment so it is all wrong. The NO2 evolved was due to nitrite presence. I AM SORRY :(

Admins, please delete this topic, thanks :)

plante1999 - 27-1-2013 at 08:06

Wait before deleting!, Did you added nitrite to your reaction? Was nitrite in your acetamide?

woelen - 27-1-2013 at 10:32

No reason to delete this thread.

@Adas: Could you be more specific about what you did? Don't feel embarassed or stupid, all of us sometimes think that something very special is happening in our experiments and lateron it all can be explained. But sometimes there really is something interesting...

Adas - 27-1-2013 at 12:33

This is embarassing and stupid because instead of glucose, I accidentally added nitrite, but I thought it was glucose :( I am sorry guys.

One more question: Why did I smell ammonia after I boiled the ammonium acetate to create acetamide?

blogfast25 - 27-1-2013 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
This is embarassing and stupid because instead of glucose, I accidentally added nitrite, but I thought it was glucose :( I am sorry guys.

One more question: Why did I smell ammonia after I boiled the ammonium acetate to create acetamide?

NH4+ H2O < === > NH3 + H3O+

Ac- + H3O+ < === > HAc + H2O

It's normal: ammonium acetate should smell slightly vinegry and ammoniacal..

AndersHoveland - 28-1-2013 at 01:29

You have to strongly heat the ammonia and acetic acid together. This is typically done in a SEALED tube, otherwise all the ammonia will just boil away.
Just boiling the two together is not enough. Acetamide is a little more difficult to make than Adas thinks.

[Edited on 28-1-2013 by AndersHoveland]

ScienceSquirrel - 28-1-2013 at 06:44

One of the better approaches to making acetamide is the reaction of acetic acid and urea.

http://www.paas.com.pk/images/volume/pdf/463080573-4.pdf