Sciencemadness Discussion Board

DRI's

chemrox - 20-12-2012 at 14:51

What is the implication of a "short acting dopamine re-uptake inhibitor?" Does this mean it's strictly a recreational drug? I ask because I would think long term would be the desirable quality for a Pakinsons treatment or anti-depressant. Indeed the ones I've heard with this attribute, short acting, are things like dimethocaine and ethylphenidate which are sold as "legal highs" (often highly contaminated or not as advertised.) I have a dear old friend with congenital Parkinsons and I've been looking into apomorphine and some of the triple inhibitors. Still, surgery may be his best bet. And I'm sure he has good medical coverage.

Trotsky - 8-6-2013 at 09:01

Short acting is particularly bad for Parkinson's disease. L-dopa is short acting and all of the research is into ways to make it longer lasting. Dyskinesia is very common and limits its utility.

Dimethocaine, which I believe I was among the very first few to test (outside of clinical trials, if there were any), has cardiac side effects that make it worthless, in addition to the fact that most dimethocaine sold doesn't contain any dimethocaine at all.