Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Lithium Flame tests

99chemicals - 27-4-2012 at 17:17

Twice I have done a lithium flame test with high purity lithium chloride I purchased from HST. I disssolved a few mg in methanol and lit it on fire in a watch glass. It had a very beautiful red color. When I recorded it on my camera it just showed a blueish color with hint of purple which I assume is potassium contamination. On the camera it showed no red color whatso ever. I repeated the experiment with another camera and it did the exact same thing. Any sugestions on how to get the camera to record the red color? I have seen several youtube videos where they successfuly showed the color. Thanks.

Hexavalent - 28-4-2012 at 06:24

I'm certain there is already a thread about this somewhere . . . I believe NurdRage had similar problems initially, too, so inbox him for ideas.

nezza - 29-4-2012 at 00:19

I have had success with lithium hydroxide in methanol (Lithium from lithium battery) No purple potassium contamination. Video attached.

Attachment: Lithium.wmv (838kB)
This file has been downloaded 813 times

Magpie - 29-4-2012 at 09:44

Beautiful, nezza. I'm preparing some LiCl myself right now from pottery grade Li2CO3 and HCl - just to have on hand, but mostly to make some beautiful red flames.

[Edited on 29-4-2012 by Magpie]

99chemicals - 29-4-2012 at 14:52

So should I just try as many cameras as possible and see which ones work?