Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Transmethylation of ammonium methyl sulphate to methylammonium sulphate

cal - 5-3-2012 at 11:02

Quote:
J. Chem. Soc. 105, 2762-2769 (1914)
In a recent communication (this vol., p. 925) containing an account of the study of the decomposition by heat of the methyl sulphates of certain carbamides, it was pointed out that ammonium methyl sulphate can evidently undergo isomeric change when heated, in accordance with the equation:
NH4-MeSO4 = NH3Me-HSO4

I find this reaction to produce Methylamine HCL the simplest of all reactions I have tried. It is a straight forward reaction between Methanol and Sulfuric Acid then Treated with Ammoniu:mad:m Carbonate to produce Ammonium Methyl Sulfate, which upon heating gives Methylamine Gas and Sulfuric Acid. I do not believe it can be any simpler.:cool::cool:

<sub>Edit by Nicodem:
The several pages of the copy-pasta and all its unreadable formating and OCR errors were removed. Those interested should check the article (DOI: 10.1039/CT9140502762; the full text will soon be in the References anyway).
Cal, your next autistic copy-pasta thread will be sent to Detritus. Either do things properly or just don't waste our time. This forum is not a waste bin.</sub>

[Edited on 5/3/2012 by Nicodem]

bfesser - 5-3-2012 at 11:10

Copy pasta? Perhaps uploading a short summary or the abstract along with a PDF or DOI link would be easier to read.

<a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=19098#pid239616">[reference requested]</a>

Sedit - 5-3-2012 at 11:33

This reaction has been talked about in the methylamine thread. When I am at my computer I will provide a link.

GreenD - 5-3-2012 at 11:50

Sorry I've never salted anything out.

Would bubbling the produced gas in Conc. HCl give you the respective salt?

cal - 9-3-2012 at 07:25

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
Sorry I've never salted anything out.

Would bubbling the produced gas in Conc. HCl give you the respective salt?

Yes it does.

UnintentionalChaos - 9-3-2012 at 10:02

We've already discussed this. Please use a search beforehand. Furthermore, the product is methylammonium bisulfate. I have tried this myself and mostly got a lot of gas loss (reportedly ethylene byproduct. It didn't reek enough to be methylamine, though a small amount was undoubtedly present ). Yield is probably poor at best.

Refluxing sulfamic acid in methanol gives ammonium methylsulfate in a much more straightforward manner.