Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Uploading photos

Dr.Bob - 26-2-2012 at 16:56

I have a simple question. Why is the photo upload limited to 800 x 3000 when most photos are more like 3000 x 800 in landscape mode. While I understand the need to be small for bandwidth reasons, the orientation of most photos is landscape, and at least on my screen, which is not large, there is plenty of width to display a 1200 or more wide photo easily.

I can get photos in about 1200 x 800 size easily, but then have to rotate them to make them work. If I cut them down to less than 800 wide, they are only 450 tall, and unreadable or too small to be useful. Since they display smaller anyway, it makes no sense to me.

I searched for this topic , but everything I found talked about using photobucket or other sites for photos, and they seem to lose them quickly and have other issues. I would rather just upload them directly. Sorry if this was discussed before, but I could not find it.

Bob

Polverone - 27-2-2012 at 01:20

800 pixels may seem too little, but when the guidelines were written many members had lower-resolution computer displays. The same is probably true today, actually, with the proliferation of tablets and smartphones. Not everybody is using a desktop computer with a high resolution monitor.

If you want to upload images with no limits on size or orientation, follow the instructions in this thread to upload the image and then link or embed as appropriate. I ask that you not embed wide images, since it will stretch the page in an annoying way in lower-resolution viewing contexts.