Sciencemadness Discussion Board

composition of benzin

soma - 5-2-2012 at 03:10

Anyone know where I can find a listing of the percentages of the components of benzin (vm&p naphtha). I'm wondering mainly how much hexane. I was thinking it might be cheaper to just distill hexane from naphtha than to buy it from chem companies.

Funkerman23 - 6-2-2012 at 10:11

with all do respect( and unless benzene here is used as slang for standard Gasoline) if the goal is cheaper Hexane wouldn't fractional distillation suffice? As far as listing I'd call the maker for an MSDS on the product you are trying to use..that may or may not work. Short of all that there are a few members here with chromatography machines that would do very well if you sent them a sample.

zoombafu - 6-2-2012 at 13:02

1. open browser
2. go to www.google.com
3. type in vm&p naphtha msds
4. click search
5. reap rewards

UnintentionalChaos - 6-2-2012 at 17:54

Quote: Originally posted by zoombafu  
1. open browser
2. go to www.google.com
4. click search
5. reap rewards

tl;dr: UTFSE

soma - 7-2-2012 at 18:38

1. open browser
2. go to www.google.com
4. click search
5. reap rewards

Duh - I already tried that.

Thanks for the help.

watson.fawkes - 7-2-2012 at 19:20

Quote: Originally posted by soma  
1. open browser
2. go to www.google.com
4. click search
5. reap rewards

So did I, just now. Took two minutes, if that. Searched on the CAS # of the first MSDS. Second link was http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0664.html. On that page:
Quote:
VM&P Naphtha is a refined petroleum solvent predominantly C7-C11 which is typically 55% paraffins, 30% monocycloparaffins, 2% dicycloparaffins & 12% alklybenzenes.
So, how much hexane do you expect from this?

You could have ascertained this from looking at the boiling point on the MSDS and looking up the boiling point of hexane.

zoombafu - 7-2-2012 at 19:30

Quote: Originally posted by soma  
1. open browser
2. go to www.google.com
4. click search
5. reap rewards

Thanks for the help.

If you did that and actually read what naphtha is you would see that it is a mixture, and there is no specific ratio of ingredients, however there are different grades of petroleum ether taken at different distillation fractions, (60/80, 30/40, etc.). Look into the 60/80 petroleum ether. There, was that enough info for you?

Endimion17 - 9-2-2012 at 10:56

This might help you.