Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Catalytic Iron

Arsole - 3-2-2012 at 22:00

Hello I am fairly new here. I have been looking on-line and I can not figure out what compound catalytic Iron is. My best guess so far is that it is reduced iron. I would appreciate any help.

smaerd - 3-2-2012 at 22:35

It may help to specify the reaction it is to be used for to get a more specific answer.

Iron metal can act as a reducing agent for things like nitro-groups to amines with hydrochloric acid(as well as tin metal iirc), and many other reactions.

In general though this could imply a specified amount of iron metal. Meaning that there is not a need to use a mole to mole ratio because of the role catalysts play in reactions(by definition sorry to be pedagogic).

Arsole - 3-2-2012 at 22:57

The reaction uses a mixture of Fe and HCl. I believe they call it an Iron reduction. Thank you for answering so quickly.

smaerd - 4-2-2012 at 08:50

Usually for Fe/HCl reductions the iron is simply iron 'powder'. Stirring with an over-head stirrer is necessary. The amount of iron is usually in excess of the compound to be reduced. Hopefully this helps.

Arsole - 4-2-2012 at 13:51

Thanks for the help. When I Google "iron powder" many different types show up would this work for a Fe - HCl Reaction?

http://shop.miniscience.com/navigation/detail.asp

One small step to understanding the complicated world of chemistry. :)