Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Povidone-Iodine Extraction (sublimation sucks)

phunethicalaiming - 25-1-2012 at 15:38

Hey guys, a while back I attempted a Povidone-Iodine extraction, and had "success".

However, I had a horrible time trying to scrape wet iodine off the coffee filters. I had plenty of Iodine crystals on the sides of my containers (I don't yet have beakers), but it was not very productive to scrape and collect.

In the end, I threw a couple of the filters in zip-loc bags and closed them for later. I also used dH2O to rinse and collect any residue of iodine I could find.

So I have these two capped bottles of Iodine/H2O solution just sitting for about 3 months. They are under a substantial amount of pressure. I'm guessing it came to equilibrium, and stopped further sublimation?

I was positive they would burst, but have maintained the same high pressure for months. Crazy.

Any good way to salvage this?

Sedit - 25-1-2012 at 18:23

Sublimination....

That is by far your best way to salvage this.

I think the best thing to do with Povidone Iodine is to add NaOH and burn the shit out of it turning it to its salt and then work it up like it was NaI. In the end its still only a 1% solution of Iodine.

neptunium - 26-1-2012 at 14:16

if you need I2 that bad you can order the NaI or KI as long as its still legal...
also i had mine from old radiation detector crystals of pure NaI(Tl)
got over 450 g out of 2 detector (they were broken anyway)

entropy51 - 26-1-2012 at 18:37

Add NaOH to the Povidone-Iodine until the color fades. FIlter and boil it down half way. Filter again while hot. Boil down again. Add HCl until it turns red and pour into H2O2. Decant off the liquid and wash your iodine with water. Dry the crystals and sublime.