Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Question about electro-synthesis

plante1999 - 8-1-2012 at 17:11

If a normal carbon anode, lets say an anode from carbon zinc lantern battery, is used as an anode in a fluoride/bisulfate sol. and enough voltage is aded , does fluorine will be made a the anode will react with water/bisulfate to make O2, persulfate and HF which will keep the oxidizing agent?

Thanks!!!

symboom - 8-1-2012 at 18:53

this is very interesting my guess is the fluorine would attack the carbon anode forming carbon fluoride this would be a very interesting reaction. possibly dangerous fluorine gas which could burn the carbon as it reacts. this is just my opinion if i would set it up id put a camera over the reaction to watch it then turn on power for electrolysis for 1 min then turn off go to the camera a watch what happened. just so im not standing over it watching it
and something goes wrong and prevent from inhaling gas.
also that nitrogen trichloride hows it been what did you chlorinate with it.

but i see what your getting at bisulfate reacting with the sodium fluoride salt
forming HF. HF and sulfate mix forming fluorine gas then the flourine oxidizes the sulfate salt to persulfate and forms HF in the process. may be even Oxygen difluoride forming at the cathode. a very interesting reaction

[Edited on 9-1-2012 by symboom]

plante1999 - 9-1-2012 at 08:35

It is exactly wath I think. Carbon will react with fluorine, making CF4 but CF4 is an inert gas so it will simply go away from the cell. Carbon anode is used in industry to make fluorine gas , so it should be somewath inert to fluorine gas.

symboom - 10-1-2012 at 13:21

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
It is exactly wath I think. Carbon will react with fluorine, making CF4 but CF4 is an inert gas so it will simply go away from the cell. Carbon anode is used in industry to make fluorine gas , so it should be somewath inert to fluorine gas.

give it a try got to see the video of it. careful around it though.HF acid does not sound fun witch will also be formed
you still should be able to see the gas being made capturing a little and testing it lead gas into a container. figure out something to test for it.

plante1999 - 10-1-2012 at 15:19

I checked in my chemicals box and I find my NaF , When I bougth my fluoride I bougth 30g of it, I used my scale to see how much fluoride I have now, I only have one gram!!!@ I used 29g of it!!! For te rest of the chemicals/materials I have wath I need. How can I made a test for an inert gas???

plante1999 - 14-1-2012 at 10:15

I only need to waith 1hour or so to see the result of acetone/NaCl/H2O electrolisis with mmo anode(to attemp to make CHCl3) and than I will test to make persulfate using the fluoride/bisulfate.

I suppose I can test for acidified persulfates with Iodide starch paper.

Edit: I started the electrolisis , almost no gas is produced at the anode and the anode corrode very fast. Titanium cathode auto disolve in the sol (even when the power is of it make titanium fluoro complex).

[Edited on 14-1-2012 by plante1999]