Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Preparing Sodium Acetate Trihydrate from Anhydrous NaAcetate

sdonell - 14-12-2011 at 15:26

Hi Guys:

I tried searching the forums for a similar thread, but all I could find where threads that discuss a topic that is opposite of what I need to do.

Basically, I have a shiite-load of Anhydrous Sodium Acetate. I would like to covert some of this into the hydrated form.For a person who nearly four-pointed most of my Chemistry labs at the university, I'm embarrased to say that all I have come up with in terms of a plan is the following, which I'm not even certain will work:1) Dissolve the anhydrous sodium acetate in lots of water.2) Boil off the water to recover the sodium acetate.What do you think? From reading other threads on these boards in which the opposite goal was trying to be accomplished (e.g. hydrate ---> anhydrous), it almost sounded like one could convert hydrated sodium acetate to anhydrous sodium acetate by simply heating the solid, and purging the water as a result.

So, with no further clue as to what I am doing, is anyone here capable of giving me some guidance? Thanks a ton. :)

UnintentionalChaos - 14-12-2011 at 15:48

Just get a scale, measure out some amount of NaOAc, convert to moles, then measure out 3x that many moles of water and mix with heating until it forms a homogenous melt. I assume this is for the "hot ice" demo that is all over the internet. On cooling, the melt should do just that and freeze.