Sciencemadness Discussion Board

nitrated rayon solution?

symboom - 5-12-2011 at 09:04

first i was thinking of dissolving cellulose into the tetraminecopper 2 hydroxide solution thus making a solution then poring concentrated nitric acid and sulfuric acid mix slowly into the solution. well before i try has anyone else have tried this if so did it nitrate the very small fibers faster this would probably make tetraminecopper 2 nitrate and sulfate too which should help it burn and leave no residue.

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by symboom]

hissingnoise - 5-12-2011 at 09:27

Nitrated cellulose, the cotton-wool variety, might well burn cleaner and more energetically than nitrated rayon.

symboom - 5-12-2011 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Nitrated cellulose, the cotton-wool variety, might well burn cleaner and more energetically than nitrated rayon.

hmm i was thinking that nitrated rayon would burn cleaner because of the very fine threads that form when disollved cellulose solution reacts with acid it becoming nitrated just as the rayon forms simultaneously.(i dont mean just putting formed rayon in to nitration so instead of the last step forming under hydrochloric acid having it from with nitration mixture)
also thanks for the link been looking for something on this.

UnintentionalChaos - 5-12-2011 at 09:43

Having copper compounds in the nitrated material would leave ash necessarily.

symboom - 5-12-2011 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
Having copper compounds in the nitrated material would leave ash necessarily.

but the tetraminecopper 2 nitrate and tetraminecopper 2 sulfate supposedly deflagerates when heating.
as the tetraminecopper 2 hydroxide forms those comounds^ with the nitration mixture