Sciencemadness Discussion Board

3000th Topic !! Ohhh Yeeeaaahh

rstar - 13-11-2011 at 00:39

Hi Geeks,
This is the 3000th topic of "Chemistry in General" Woooooooo !!!!

Discussions on: How to celebrate it Chemically? ;)
Lets celebrate it with some bangs and booms. Explosives, i mean weaker ones.

So which explosive is your favorite, and do you know how to synthesize it??

rstar - 13-11-2011 at 00:45

One of my favorites is a mixture, that is not actually an explosive, but it burns off brilliantly.

Its a mixture of KClO3 and powdered Sugar. Additions of some other salts like CuCl2 or CaCl2 will also give a colorful flame ;)

unionised - 13-11-2011 at 01:56

I will tie a disposable vinyl glove to the compressed air tap and open the valve slightly so it blows up like a balloon and bursts.
Childish, but fun and about as safe an explosion as you can get.

Chemistry Alchemist - 13-11-2011 at 02:27

A fun thing me and my mate like doing is bout 50 mls of HCl in a coke bottle and add aluminium foil into it... Fun and loud... Dangerous as hell... Coke bottle may hit you, hot HCl could splash on you, inhalation of a lot of hydrogen gas, gas could ignite making a larger explosion... Another mixture I like is just plain old black powder, easy to make, fun to use

Arthur Dent - 13-11-2011 at 05:05

In honor of this momentous event, I will perform a fascinating biochemical reaction that will involve converting ethanol into sugar using my liver. Cheers!
-Robert

Mixell - 13-11-2011 at 05:59

Oh, converting ethanol to sugar is one of my favorite activities too =)

Chemistry Alchemist - 13-11-2011 at 06:24

Ill try that reaction either next week or week after... if i can get time to do so =D

woelen - 14-11-2011 at 00:23

Keep this nice and tidy :P

Please no kewl stuff. There are enough kewl forums out there and that is not what we need here. Original and good ideas are always welcome though.