Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Any acid that exploits to the contact with H2O

anonymous201 - 22-10-2011 at 06:47

I am looking for acid that to the contact with water it exploits, any acid?

SbF5?

400px-Reaction_of_HF_with_SbF5.png - 8kB

Mixell - 22-10-2011 at 08:51

Explodes may be?
Lewis acids tend to hydrolyze on contact with water, AlCl3 hydrolyzes vigorously and SO3 can even cause an explosion.
Out of the Bronstand acids, many hydrolyze too, for example HSbF6 that you mentioned, or fluorosulfuric acid (HFO3S).

blogfast25 - 22-10-2011 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by Mixell  
Out of the Bronstand acids, many hydrolyze too, for example HSbF6 that you mentioned, or fluorosulfuric acid (HFO3S).

Not sure what you mean by 'hydrolyse' in this context, Mixell. Both acids you mention are super strong acids (several times stronger than HCl or H2SO4). Like the latter both they completely dissociate in water and their cations are neutral (no hydrolysis)

Mixell - 22-10-2011 at 12:50

Hm, possibly Wikipedia lied?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroantimonic_acid#Safety
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorosulfuric_acid#Safety

AndersHoveland - 22-10-2011 at 16:39

Typically when certain acids "explode" on contact with water it is merely an extremely violent reaction that sprays acid everywhere, not the type of explosion that can blast through walls.

Bot0nist - 22-10-2011 at 16:49

Don protective clothing and drip a few drops of hot dH<sub>2</sub>O into a small beaker of hot sulfuric acid. I don't know if I would call this an explosion, but it is very violent.

blogfast25 - 23-10-2011 at 05:01

My bad, Mixell.

Still, it's a good thing that anyone interested in 'exploding acids' cannot get their hands on any! :D

Mixell - 23-10-2011 at 05:19

Yea, Andres, I guess it is as far at it goes.
That phrase made me smile, "exploding acids" :D
May be picric acid (although on explosion it acts as any other highly nitrated compound, the acidic properties are only shown in solution or in molten state) is your choice? Although it does not explodes on contact with water.