Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Where is the energy?

plante1999 - 24-9-2011 at 08:38

When I ad 50%NaClO3 sol with a reductor like CH3OH and a drop of Co II sol oxidation occure ( production of CO2 gas) but no heat or other form of energy seem to be maked, normaly when an oxidizer and a reductor react together they make heat or ligth.... Where the energy goes?

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 24-9-2011 by plante1999]

Mixell - 24-9-2011 at 09:46

May be the heat is removed by the CO2 which escapes the solution?

Endimion17 - 24-9-2011 at 10:24

There is some thermal energy released, only you are unable to measure it. Might be because your methods are not suitable.

Thermodynamic system can relieve itself in many ways. Expelled carbon dioxide is a great way of doing it. Our bodies expell, among other matter in a high state of disorder, carbon dioxide. That keeps them in a relatively highly ordered state compared to the environment. That mechanism is powered by ingestion of energy rich matter which reacts in our cells.

Try to do it on a larger scale and use a digital thermometer. You should read out a change in temperature.
And try to measure the volume of the gas.

Melgar - 24-9-2011 at 11:29

Yeah, same reason HCl and baking soda react vigorously, yet the reaction actually chills the solution. You're creating a state change.

plante1999 - 24-9-2011 at 13:10

I repeat the process but this time I ad much lower amont of catalist and I see on my termometer a temperature diference. Thank you all ,I will make update and picture.

[Edited on 24-9-2011 by plante1999]