Dimethyl sulfate

perfumesynthlover - 27-6-2011 at 18:00

Hello , I'm new here but I have been looking around for

some time.I'm a student in chemistry and it is my first year.I'm

mostly interested by perfume aroma synthesis for now.I have

already an idea on the subject but want different opinon.Do

you think that dimethyl sulfate can be prepared from dimethyl

carbonate and if so, how?

Don't worry I know the really bad toxicity of dms.

Thanks

Waffles SS - 27-6-2011 at 23:10

Quote:

Dimethyl sulfate can be synthesized in the laboratory by many different syntheses, the simplest being the esterification of sulfuric acid with methanol:

2 CH3OH + H2SO4 → (CH3)2SO4 + 2 H2O

Another possible synthesis involves distillation of methyl hydrogen sulfate:

2 CH3HSO4 → H2SO4 + (CH3)2SO4

Methyl nitrite and methyl chlorosulfonate also result in dimethyl sulfate:

CH3ONO + (CH3)OSO2Cl → (CH3)2SO4 + NOCl

In the United States, Me2SO4 has been produced commercially since the 1920s. A common process is the continuous reaction of dimethyl ether with sulfur trioxide.

(CH3)2O + SO3 → (CH3)2SO4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfate

I have 150lit merck (1 lit bottle) Dimethyl sulfate and i am trying to sale it:(

perfumesynthlover - 28-6-2011 at 13:01

Check your pm Mr Waffles SS please.

Thanks for the info on the synthesis but I'm not sure I want to synthetise it.Some chemicals look pretty hard to

make on lab scale, the chemical equation look always easier than it is.Reversible equation, by product,difficult

workup...The link below,if the guy had done it correctly,prove that sometime it is a waste of chemical for tiny

yield.Its like making formic acid from oxalic acid and glycerine, what a wasting of time and chemical for the tiny yield

you get when you can buy it easyly.If I can't buy DMS or make it straight from dimethyl carbonate,I'm going to try

dimethyl carbonate as it seem a good alternative.I have not seen much info here about DMC so it would be

interesting to see what other think about it. It is a good methylating agent, much less toxic than DMS and

biodegradable.They call it a green reagent and want that it replace the use of DMS.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1608

Thanks

mario840 - 28-6-2011 at 13:06

The easiest synthesis ever :

"When we add alcohol (methanol) to sulphuryl chloride then methyl hydrogen sulphate is formed instead dimethyl sulphate but when we ADD ONE MOLE OF SULPHURYL CHLORIDE TO TWO MOLE OF METHANOL THE REACTION TAKES PLACE :

SO2Cl2 + 2 CH3OH --------> (CH3)2SO4 + 2HCl

A very good yield is obtainted of desired sulphate and recovery of sulphate and excess sulphuryl is really easy."