Sciencemadness Discussion Board

lead dioxide electroplated on titanium from lead acetate

symboom - 7-6-2011 at 18:13

well any one know if this will work instread of lead nitrate solution forming lead dioxide

bbartlog - 8-6-2011 at 05:21

Seems unlikely to me... from what I remember, electrolysis of acetate solution isn't going to get you oxidation by oxygen at the anode, rather you get CO2 and CH3 radicals or somesuch. I think looking at the detailed mechanisms involved in Kolbe electrolysis would be informative but the short answer is probably just use sulfate (dilute sulfuric acid) or nitrate -

symboom - 8-6-2011 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
Seems unlikely to me... from what I remember, electrolysis of acetate solution isn't going to get you oxidation by oxygen at the anode, rather you get CO2 and CH3 radicals or somesuch. I think looking at the detailed mechanisms involved in Kolbe electrolysis would be informative but the short answer is probably just use sulfate (dilute sulfuric acid) or nitrate -
thats right it forms ethene i recall from sodium acetate electrolysis whats left should be sodium hydroxide but i did not run it long enough
so on the cathod as i was thinking lead would also form but be oxidized from the liqiuid

[Edited on 9-6-2011 by symboom]

The WiZard is In - 9-6-2011 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
well any one know if this will work instread of lead nitrate solution forming lead dioxide

Curious be I. Why lead dioxide coated titanium? Lead dioxide
coated steel electrodes were long used to produce chlorate's.
The book I own with the most details dobe —

Clifford Hampel
The Encyclopedia of Electrochemistry
Reinhold 1964

Currently rhenium coated titanium electrodes are used.