Sciencemadness Discussion Board

need to synthesize NaOCH2CH3

pbasse01 - 26-4-2011 at 08:43

I'm in the middle of a student-designed synthesis and while I"m sure it's a simple procedure, I need to be sure of the amounts of reagents I'm using.
I'm using 250ml glassware, so thinking 100ml of absolute ethanol and I'm trying to get a sense of how much Na(s) tape to weigh out.
This is for the Deikmann (Claisen) ring closure step. I've already prepared and successfully characterized the diethyl adipate and need to make the sodium ethoxide myself due to limited chemicals in the stockroom.
Thanks

ScienceSquirrel - 26-4-2011 at 13:55

Organic Syntheses is your friend.
Intelligent searching will give you a lot of ideas about real reaction conditions.
This is a preparation of sodium ethoxide for use in a synthesis;
http://orgsyn.org/orgsyn/pdfs/CV2P0262.pdf
If I were you I would search for more examples and from there you can work towards designing your experiment.

entropy51 - 26-4-2011 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by pbasse01  
I'm using 250ml glassware, so thinking 100ml of absolute ethanol and I'm trying to get a sense of how much Na(s) tape to weigh out.
This may be a little crowded for a 250 mL flask, especially if things unexpectedly become exciting. This prep can do that. Use smaller amounts of reactants until you know how it's going to (mis)behave.

pbasse01 - 26-4-2011 at 14:47

Excellent,
Thanks all