Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitric acid storage

EdricoRojo - 1-10-2024 at 16:17

Newbie question. I searched and didn't find any answers.

What is the best container for long term nitric acid storage?

I went through the lists of compatible materials, and tried using a plastic container of the "correct" material. Long story short, it works for short term, not long. I was trying to store some 88% that I distilled.

I have glass beakers with taper bungs and caps. Is the proper method of sealing those with sulfuric acid? Or will that dry out over time? Or are containers with gaskets preferable? If so, what material for the gasket?

j_sum1 - 1-10-2024 at 18:02

Glass.
Acid resistant cap.
Cool.
Dark.

Typically NA is stored in amber bottles with a teflon cap. You can improvise with a reagent bottle with ground glass stopper. Alternatively be prepared to check and replace stoppers regularly - six-monthly. You might even get away with something as crude as glass jam jars with a layer of polyethylene between the jar and the metal cap. Check for leaks. And check cap integrity weekly at first until you know what is happening.

If you don't have an amber bottle, wrap in alfoil.
If you don't have a good stopper, then dilute to reduce the incidence of fumes. Not every application requires fuming nitric acid. Azeotropic (68%) can be used for most things. Half that concentration is still useful.

EdricoRojo - 1-10-2024 at 19:33

Excellent. That was what I needed to know. Thank you!

fx-991ex - 2-10-2024 at 06:22

Could he use teflon sheet for lining the cap? am curious if thats good enough(thats what i use for other less dangerous stuff).

j_sum1 - 2-10-2024 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
Could he use teflon sheet for lining the cap? am curious if thats good enough(thats what i use for other less dangerous stuff).

Yes. If you have it. Teflon is great.

Bedlasky - 2-10-2024 at 15:38

Azeotropic HNO3 can be stored in glass bottle with plastic cap. Fuming nitric acid is too corrosive/oxidizing for plastic cap, groud glass joint is practically only option. But it fumes like hell so... store it somewhere "outside" or store it for a short time.