Sciencemadness Discussion Board

making sodium ethyl sulfate from spent acid-ether reaction mixture

MrDoctor - 25-9-2024 at 15:52

Since sodium/calcium ethyl sulfate is a moderately useful reagent, and people have such a tough time getting decent yields as it were, i thought it might be a good idea to neutralize and save the spent reagents after producing diethyl ether from sulfuric acid and ethanol since the reaction eventually stops or has to be stopped due to a buildup of tar and water, and further attempts to remove the water, cause even more buildup of tar, and consequently foaming.

Ethyl sulfate is supposedly also lost from the reaction, slowly entrained by the ether/ethanol distillate, as is evident from the sheer amount of CO2 produced during the bicarbonate washing, more than i would think to see from sulfuric acid mist.

I was wondering, what kind of workup or conditions would be needed in order to successfully convert the ethyl sulfate waste product im left with, in my reaction and receiving flasks, into a salt? I was reading up on peoples attempts to produce it and, yields seem terrible and varied. furthermore water content seems to be a big issue as well.
My intuition is telling me theres more to this reaction than simply neutralizing the ethyl sulfate with carbonate, unless im misreading and the issue is, making ethyl sulfate efficiently, not the salt.

The other thing too is, im only really guessing as to what the composition of my tarry acid water is at the end of an ether synthesis. With considerable effort i have managed to "regenerate" unusable ethyl sulfate solution with aggressive heating, vacuum distillation and/or the addition of much less acid than the subsequent ether produced could be made with (mostly to dry it out not replace acid), so there must be appreciable amounts of ethyl sulfate there i would think.

jackchem2001 - 25-9-2024 at 22:55

On your last point, I wonder if cautiously adding H2O2 to the spent reaction acid mixture could regenerate its ability to produce ether.

[Edited on 26-9-2024 by jackchem2001]