Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Asbestos catalyzed nitroethane synthesis design

PonderosaP - 12-8-2024 at 23:43

This is my first post, sorry if it belongs somewhere else. I want to remind anyone reading this that they're involved in such a cool online community. This extends to the 10 community members lurking around every single active poster. There aren't many gems like this one around anymore. Thank you.

Does anyone have any details about this process or what the construction of the apparatus entails? A blip exists about it in the wiki but I couldn't follow the information trail successfully.

I've had success with converting ethyl iodide to nitroethane using silver filings and sodium nitrite. I really appreciate the aroma of this compound and would like to perform this synthesis. My grandfather passed away from lung cancer a long time ago, probably in part because of his extremely large exposure profile to the wolly rock. He served years in the Navy during WWII on a ship, likely happily chiseling old boilers out or whatever. He regularly sanded his asbestos clad house in preparation for paint. (Don't worry he smoked like a chimney)

When it was finally my turn to rummage his old repair shop, I found some exiting treasures from the 50s. He left me a nearly brand new spool of "the finest PTFE coated asbestos rope produced, of exceptional purity"

Wil the catalyst be consumed during this reaction?

Thanks for coming to my TED TALK fellow madlads/lasses.