Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Double displacement with trivalent compounds

chloric1 - 27-7-2024 at 09:00

I do a lot of chemistry using calcium chloride and calcium nitrate with various sulfate compounds. That being said, I’ve been pondering if doing double displacement with aluminum, ferric or chronic sulfates would even be effective. IRC chromic sulfate chemistry is complex and sulfato complexes may be involved. Not to mention how these compounds exhibit extensive hydrolysis is solution and May require significant amounts of dilute sulfuric acid for clear stable solutions. Would all the sulfate be able to precipitate with the calcium ions? Or would I end up with sulfato-nitrates and sulfate-chlorides?

j_sum1 - 27-7-2024 at 14:56

I am a little unclear what you are trying to achieve.
But yes. Complexes, hydroxides and insoluble precipitates are things you would need to navigate.

I personally dislike working with iron because there are so many ways to end up with brown sludge that is difficult to identify.

chloric1 - 27-7-2024 at 15:25

Well I’m not trying to achieve nothing as of yet. What just trying to gleam from other”s experiences. Pretty sure trivalent metals I will just use the respective acid with the metal hydroxide or basic carbonate. Chromium(III) forms a basic carbonate while the other two ions do not. Highly variable composition IRC