Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Rubidium Chlorate

Chemgineer - 9-7-2024 at 04:54

I purchased 25g of rubidium carbonate a while back from ebay for $46, quite expensive but the seller was based in Ukraine and I figured I would support them.

Yesterday I decided to experiment with it, I neutralised some 20% hcl with it to a ph of 6-7 and added distilled water to a volume of 80ml.

I fashioned an electrolysis cell using a 100ml Duran bottle and used epoxy to glue a 10x10mm platinum anode and some titanium wire for the cathode. Also used a tube to divert gasses outside.

I started the cell and set my current to 1 amp.

It has been a little over 12 hours now and already I have a nice collection of rubidium chlorate crystals at the bottom of the cell.

I presume they are chlorate anyway, perchlorate is less soluble but at present I don't know how to confirm which it is.

Once the cell is done I might oxidise some ascorbic acid and observe the colour produced. Should be red I believe.

greenlight - 9-7-2024 at 10:20

Pretty cool stuff:)

You can use a methylene blue test for presence of perchlorate if you have, a positive results in a purple precipitate.

http://www.chlorates.exrockets.com/tests.html#:~:text=Methyl...

Chemgineer - 11-7-2024 at 14:48

I thought i'd give a brief update, I eventually managed to get around 27g of a white precipitate. I added some of i to a test tube of water and allowed to dissolve. Addition of 1 drop of 1% methylene blue remained blue with no purple from what I can see so I am assuming I have RbCLO3.

I mixed an approx 40/60 mix of this with ascorbic acid in a small quality and made 3 piles of it ready for ignition testing. The first pile burned fast with a pink flame and then self ignited the other 2 piles so it is quite sensitive! (more evidence of a chlorate rather than a perchlorate).

I then mixed a small quantity with fine magnesium powder and gave this a burn test (with a fuse), it certainly has enough sensitivity for a flash producing a bright white light. It was too bright to see the colour.

So if you want to make yourself designer expensive fireworks then rubidium chlorate may be the answer you're looking for.

As extra info towards the end of the electrlysis my cell got too hot and my platinum anode now look slightly gold coloured but appears to be otherwise ok.

[Edited on 11-7-2024 by Chemgineer]

Texium - 11-7-2024 at 15:29

Quote: Originally posted by Chemgineer  
I purchased 25g of rubidium carbonate a while back from ebay for $46, quite expensive but the seller was based in Ukraine and I figured I would support them.
Actually, that’s incredibly cheap for a rubidium salt.

Chemgineer - 12-7-2024 at 05:36

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Quote: Originally posted by Chemgineer  
Actually, that’s incredibly cheap for a rubidium salt.

I'm glad I didn't screw things up and waste it then..