Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Extraction of bioactive constituents of Bilberry

chemrox - 9-4-2011 at 17:38

I was given Bilberry medicinally and had difficulty obtaining a tincture. That lead to my making one by soxhlet extraction of dried berries with ethanol. However, if I want to explore the full medicinal potential of the plant is there a better extraction approach. Should I run a non-polar solvent through followed by a polar solvent? Should I acidify the polar solvent? I'm thinking anthocyanins, saponins, diterpenes some conjugated alcohols maybe.. probably minimal amine content but possible some useful acids.

Sedit - 9-4-2011 at 18:41

If you able to retrieve this perhaps it would help.

Quote:
Chemical composition, anthocyanins, non-anthocyanin phenolics and antioxidant activity of wild bilberry (Vaccinium meridionale Swartz) from Colombia

G.A. Garzóna, , , C.E. Narváeza, K.M. Riedlb and S.J. Schwartzb

a Departamento de Química, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, AA 14490 Bogotá, Colombia

b Department of Food Science, 2015 Fyffe Road, Parker Food Science Building, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA

Received 14 December 2009; revised 26 January 2010; accepted 2 March 2010. Available online 12 March 2010.

Abstract
Berries of Vaccinium meridionale Swartz native to Colombia were analysed for chemical composition, total phenolic content, anthocyanin content, and antioxidant activity. In addition, high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detection (HPLC–DAD) and HPLC-electrospray ionisation tandem mass spectrometry (ESI–MS/MS) were used to determine anthocyanin and phenolic composition. Anthocyanin content was 329.0 ± 28.0 mg cyanidin 3-glucoside equivalents/100 g (fresh weight) FW and total phenolic content was 758.6 ± 62.3 mg gallic acid equivalent/100 g FW. Cyanidin 3-galactoside was the major anthocyanin while the most abundant non-anthocyanin phenolic was chlorogenic acid.

The ABTS radical scavenging activity was 45.5 ± 2.3 μmol Trolox equivalents/g FW and the ferric reducing antioxidant potential (FRAP) value was 87.0 ± 17.8 μmol TE/g FW or 116.0 ± 23.7 μmol ferric iron reduced/g FW.

The unique anthocyanin composition of this fruit, as identified by classical techniques and ESI–MS/MS, can be differentiated from other bilberries and perhaps useful in authentification procedures. Overall, results from this study show that the fruit from Colombian wild bilberry has high antioxidant activity and potential applications as a source of phytochemicals in the nutraceutical and functional food market.

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi...

Are these things blue berrys, huckle berrys, or something else all together?