Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Production of CHCl3

plante1999 - 23-2-2011 at 18:05

I was tinking if anyone have tried to improuve the way formaking chloroform. Here a way i have tinked

making asolution of NaHCO3 +acetone + H2O and passing chlorine trough it.two side reation: OH- + Cl2 + Na ion -> NaOCl witch will react with acetone to make CHCl3.

acetone + Cl2 -> chloroacetone , Chloroacetone + OH- -> CHCl3
(i know it will produce na acetate NaOH)

wath do you think of this and do you have idee for improuving way for making CHCl3.

Ozone - 23-2-2011 at 18:57

I would suggest first checking "today's posts" to find someting like this:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15584

Barring that, try the search engine.

O3

plante1999 - 24-2-2011 at 04:29

i already read this treat but this isnt wah i was talking about.

ScienceSquirrel - 24-2-2011 at 04:55

To be honest it is better to start with bleach as either sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite.
They are easy to handle and measure out unlike chlorine gas which is a bit of a bitch and most people would have to make it from bleach anyway!
The best approach is to use a large container with bleach and ice, add acetone slowly with cooling, separate off and dry the chloroform and then distill it.
You can make a couple of hundred mls this way quite easily and for most home chemists this is plenty for lots of experiments.

plante1999 - 24-2-2011 at 05:02

yes a already made from bleach but formaking chlorine i use maganese dioxide and suposing if this work ,in the place of1ml of CHCl3 and 300ml ofiusable solution we quet 10ml of CHCl3 and 10mlof inusable solutionit will be beter (low dissolution of CHCl3.

here the video i made chloroform.<iframe sandbox title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8vfuqzG8l8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 24-2-2011 by plante1999]

ScienceSquirrel - 24-2-2011 at 06:01

You would have all the stuff from your chlorine generator plus you have to dilute the reaction mixture by quite a lot to control the reaction.
Try adding neat acetone to dry bleaching powder or even a very thick slurry at room temperature, instant runaway.
Water has a very high heat capacity so it acts as a thermal buffer when used as a solvent.
The haloform reaction with cold dilute bleach is a very safe and convenient way to make chloroform because of this.
Try writing your experiments up, videos really are garbage in a scientific context!

cyanureeves - 24-2-2011 at 06:09

what is left in the remaining solution?can it be used?mine formed white salts when i added it to a copper solution.i battled for about 20 seconds walking around to keep from passing out after i took a whiff from a soaked cloth.two whiffs will do it for sure.

plante1999 - 24-2-2011 at 07:26

Can someone help my to improuve my video? i will ad audio comment in my video , also i wrigh and ballance the equation.Wath should i ad or change in my video?

ScienceSquirrel - 24-2-2011 at 07:34

Toss the video and write a decent account of your preparation with quantities used, yield, etc.
If you do not know how to do this then read a book that tells you how.
Turn your spell checker on, start using upper and lower case appropriately, etc.

cyanureeves - 24-2-2011 at 19:10

so you are left with sodium hydroxide and a sodium acetate ion solution?

Melgar - 24-2-2011 at 19:10

Also, liquid pool shock is 10% sodium hypochlorite. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper per mole of hypochlorite.

ScienceSquirrel - 25-2-2011 at 03:46

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
so you are left with sodium hydroxide and a sodium acetate ion solution?

Pretty much, it is very dilute and it contains small amounts of chloroform as well but nothing to scare the horses down at the local sewage works.
You are only making litres of it so they won't even notice.

plante1999 - 28-2-2011 at 09:19

here the new version of the video , i forgot something i need to say but this is my first audio comment video.take also note that english is not my native language.

<iframe sandbox title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/46rnx9MM8Ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 28-2-2011 by plante1999]