Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Question on extraction of sorbic acid from rowan berries.

Syn the Sizer - 12-9-2020 at 11:47

Hello friends,

I am planning a fun extracting of sorbic acid from rowan berries (genus Sorbus). I am not looking for an easy source of sorbic acid since hydrolysis of potassium sorbate is much easier and cheaper. This is purely experimental. My plan is to form a slurry with the pulp and extract using a base, filter than hydrolyze with HCl.

My question is should I use fresh or dried berries and will sodium carbonate work or is the hydroxide better?

DraconicAcid - 12-9-2020 at 19:12

You probably want sodium carbonate, because hydroxide will also deprotonate a host of phenolic compounds. Stick with the selective stuff.

Syn the Sizer - 12-9-2020 at 19:35

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
You probably want sodium carbonate, because hydroxide will also deprotonate a host of phenolic compounds. Stick with the selective stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the input.

unionised - 13-9-2020 at 01:56

On the same basis, bicarbonate might be even better.

Syn the Sizer - 13-9-2020 at 14:58

Thanks

DraconicAcid - 13-9-2020 at 15:01

On a similar note, I'm thinking of extracting malic acids from apples. Any suggestions on separating it from maleic and malonic?

Syn the Sizer - 15-9-2020 at 07:06

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
On a similar note, I'm thinking of extracting malic acids from apples. Any suggestions on separating it from maleic and malonic?

That sounds like a fun project too. I however don't have any good input at the moment though I think I am going to do a bit of research now.