Sciencemadness Discussion Board

SO3 from NaHSO4, question regarding safety

Panache - 24-6-2010 at 08:21

Hello i was intending to run this preparation a la len and garage, i have a kiln suitable for this but realised that for their procedures if the vessel containing the starting material failed it would be rather catastrophic for kiln/furnace, fume hood, neighbours etc.

Neither make mention what their plans were should this have occured and this important part of organising doing this is holding me up as i cannot think of what one could do in this circumstance. Even if one is happy to write off the equipment, dealing with lots of SO3 flooding out of a very hot kiln presents containment problems, an ideas?
The best i can come up with is doing dry runs without reagants to confirm the parameters are handled by the equipment, however with these temperatures one cannot be reassured that such a vessel won't fail on the next run.
I'm not adverse to making and firing my own retort, is there a particularly reliable material that could be thus used.
has anyone actually attempted this preparation using mild steel to show it can be effectively used?
Any useful input would be greatly appreciated as i won't try it with no backup plan.

Edit-Failsafe planners from BP need not respond.

[Edited on 24-6-2010 by Panache]